MEMBERSHIP BENEFITSTo summarise the direct benefits to a country arising through membership include:
1) Free access to ISO publications and events:
- ISO Sugar Year book
- ISO Ethanol Year book
- Statistical Bulletin
- Monthly Reports & Press Summary
- MECAS studies (6 per year)
- Quarterly Market Outlook
- ISO Seminar & proceedings
- ISO Workshop & proceedings
- WTO studies
- Other special studies
- The ISO provides members with market information and market analysis coming from recognised leading analysts with an independent view point, and with the objective of increasing market transparency.
- The ISO is the only world wide forum for discussions on an inter-governmental level: sugar policy, sugar trade policy and related matters and gives access to members to the know-how and experience of other countries in restructuring their sugar economies.
- The ISO is the meeting point of decision-makers from governments and the private sector.
- The ISO is the designated commodity body for projects sponsored through the Common Fund for Commodities (CFC). Priority is given to projects from member countries.
3) Last but not least, membership in the ISO increases the weight and influence of a country in the international sugar context. Although the ISO is an intergovernmental organization and therefore the government becomes a member our members are encouraged, where they feel it appropriate, to include in their delegations representatives and advisers from the private sector. This is obviously entirely up to the government. In some cases, for example, Mauritius and South Africa, industry representatives are mandated by their government to represent their country in the Organization.